Thursday 20 December 2012

Major Project Research Inspiration- Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)

Vertigo is currently rated as one of the greatest films of all time. It is considered Hitchcock's greatest achievement for film due to it's visual acheivements. What attracted me to this film is the opening scene. The chase on the rooftops that causes Scottie's acrophobia which plays out the rest of the film. This scene is visually stunning and whilst I have been developing an idea for my own piece I have used this as part inspiration to the overall look of my piece. The rooftops of San Francisco (or New York as I am planning on using) is visually stunning in the 50's and 60's. The rising mists out of the ventilation shafts obscuring the view to create casting silhouettes. It gives a very noir feel which is also a foundation I am developing for my final major project research. I think Vertigo's opening scene is stunning and this visual representation is something I hope to similarly achieve in my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment